Set within the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, the Sunningdale site is in the Greenbelt. It contains a Grade II listed mansion (Northcote House) within a Grade II Registered Park and Garden.
Audley Villages commissioned Gaunt Francis Architects to prepare designs for a new care community to supplement Audley’s growing portfolio.
Our proposals build upon the site’s heritage. Firstly, we removed the modern late 20th century buildings located along the western boundary. Seondly, we replaced them with buildings whose architectural style complements the historic buildings that define Sunningdale Park’s heritage. Finally, the heritage assets that contribute positively to the character of Sunningdale Park are retained and converted. These are Northcote House, Gloucester Stables, and North Lodge.
The Grade II Northcote House dates from 1785. It became a chic party venue in the 1930s and was the site of the historic Sunningdale Agreement of 1973. Therefore it is the perfect venue for Audley’s restaurant, communal facilities and health and well-being spa. The historic Gloucester Stables and the Lodge convert neatly into apartments and cottages. New-build Woodland Courtyards nestle amongst the parkland trees. These buildings are designed in a contemporary vernacular style using brickwork, glazed gable-ends, and balconies. Modern design cues contrast with the neo-classicism of Northcote House.